Sunday, September 12, 2010

WELCOME!

Welcome to the East York CI writer's craft blog!  I can't tell you all how excited I am to be leading you through this experience!  In addition to your class journals, these blogs will serve as a creative and intellectual outlet.  Remember, the goal with this response writing is always AUTHENTICITY!  Be honest, genuine, and don't force emotions that aren't real. 

Having said all that, I understand that the internet is a public space.  However, a big part of this course is going to be making yourself vulnerable, and opening up to others.  No one here will judge you, or fault you for being yourself.  You will all be amazed at the reception you receive from others when you take chances, and put your feelings out there.  


So how is this going to work?  Well it's simple.  My blog (the one you're reading now) is going to be your starting point.  Whenever you log in to post a blog, you're going to come here first.  On this page, you'll find the topic of the day or week.  Most of the time, i'll try and get you to look at things online.  Because we're on the internet, I want to make use of all the incredible information that's at our fingertips.  The resources I use to get you thinking will be from sources we can't access in our portable.  Your job will be to follow the link, read the article, watch the video or look at the image that I direct you to.  Consider what you've seen and/or heard, take a moment to process, and then respond on your own blog page.  If you're stuck, look to the response writing hand out I gave you in class, and consider some of the guiding questions.  

What if you really don't like the prompt?  Well that's an easy question to answer: write what you want!  This is your blog, so if you've got something pressing on your mind, and want to flush it out here, that's your prerogative!  

Last but not least: read other people's blogs!  Part of your job with respect to this project will be to reflect on how your classmates feel.  Remember, this has to be a safe medium for everyone, so be respectful!!  If you disagree with someone, acknowledge their opinion, and explain why you feel differently.  We have 25 distinct personalities in this class. This will become a great resource for all of you in your writing if you learn how to respond and provide feedback in a critical, yet respectful way.  For professional writers, collaboration is a huge part of what they do to perfect their craft. You, like they, will learn how to use this process as a valuable tool.  

That's it!  We'll be booking computer lab time at some point this week to get everything set up.  Save this page as a favourite, and check back often!

Enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. I thought you said this was easy!
    I can't figure out how to view or follow anyone elses' blogs. (It only gives me the option to befriend them.) That is with the exception of two people because I found links on the little popup thingies that come up when I click the pictures of your "Followers".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem as Brittany, but i think you need their exact blog link to follow them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I managed to follow you, Kevin! So I think that the person needs to actually post something in their blog for it to be visible to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sir, nice post. I had a little bit of trouble finding out how to use this, but I finally figured it out. I put a post up, I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think if we all post a comment on this blog, we should be able to follow each other because then it links us with their profile. At least that's how i ended up following Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://abstractamandaferreira.blogspot.com/ --> there's me, if i'm needed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ops i posted wrong place,

    http://kevinguxholli.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my blog:

    http://melissaanne007.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://juliatreloarisawesome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete